Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer's Splendor



Summer so far has given us quite a bit of splendor...Great berries, beautiful blossoms in my garden, wonderful treats from a needle book swap and a week at the beach with family.

 
 

Some good stuff so far this summer!
 The berries have been great this season and I made this Strawberry Rhubarb and Sweet Dumplings with the last of them some weeks ago. All I did was take 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp.baking powder 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp.cinnamon mixed it with some milk to make a thick batter and dolloped it onto the the fruits which were dressed with some sugar and lemon juice. I took it to knitting night and they loved it.
The Needle book swap... My needle book recipient got a book with her initials cross stitched on it and made with some civil war scrap and along with it some goodies from Maison Sajou. Then I received this awesome goodies from Tanya from Tanya Quilts in CO. She made me this awesome embroidered project bag along with goodies that included chocolate which I ate upon arrival! Amy from Amy Made That hosted it. It was great fun and I love meeting new blog friends. My garden...the Morning Glories and Sunflowers are here and they are beautiful. My Anise plants are keeping the bees so very busy lately( I so wish I could find where they are taking all that nectar and get my hands on that honey!) and the Day Lilies have come and gone. The vegetable garden is making a real push now as well. The garden is in a lull now waiting for the later summer blooms to make their debut. Cape May NJ...we spent a week with my Husbands family, close to 30 of us! It was so nice to spend extended time with those who we don't see often. I haven't been to Cape May since my oldest were toddlers. It was so nice to see that some of my favorite stores were still there. My favorite being the Scandinavian gifts shop. Years ago I decorated my house with items from there and are still adorning my home. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me take photos in the store. Such charming stuff. Maybe I will photograph what I bought next post. They have a website www.swedethings.com. Then a trip to Winterwood an amazing Christmas store. So sweet my handsome boys at Sunset Beach where we searched for Cape May Diamonds while watching the sunset.  They are little quartz stones that when you polish them and they resemble diamonds. It was a beautiful evening. We had unseasonably mild weather at the beach it almost felt like September. We saw dolphins everyday in the ocean and took a haunted house trolley tour of all the Victorian homes that are supposedly filled with spirits. It was just great to sit in the trolley on a breezy eve and get a great look at all the beautiful Inns.

I have some new projects going and am looking forward to showing you. So how did you like the tutorial?
I hope your summer is sharing some its splendor with you as well. 
Be Well,
Ming

9 comments:

  1. I want to visit those stores. They look cute. You did such fun things at the Cape. I have never had rhubarb. I will have to try that. Your garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try rhubarb...my husband fought it for years and now loves it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, Donna! As soon as I saw the Scandinavian Gifts picture I knew you were in Cape May. We went there last summer for vacation and it was wonderful and that was also my favorite little shop. Looks like you are having a great summer! I especially like that beautiful spot in your garden with the statue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just the most charming shop! Yes so far it has been a great summer!

      Delete
  3. Wow, these photos are beautiful! What you made for the swap is so pretty, your partner must have been really happy when she received it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth...I do hope she liked the gifts!

      Delete
  4. These photos are fabulous . . . I am so delighted that you are having a wonderful summer.
    That strawberry and rhubarb cobbler looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! The cobbler is now a family favorite!

      Delete
  5. I liked your blog, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete