Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Summer Veggie Lasagna...

Two things I love about summer...fresh herbs and summer squash.I could eat summer squash almost everyday, seriously I could. So you would of thought I won the the lottery when I found my first summer squash ready in my garden. I don't  know where it came from to tell  you the truth because my other plants aren't showing much yet but, this beauty was there.
It was a stormy day yesterday so I felt it was a good day to make lasagna. I grabbed some Basil and French Tarragon for my sauce and got started.


Now when it comes to my sauce I am a purest. I wanted a very light sauce for this summer dish...Onion, Basil, S&P a touch of sugar, Olive Oil, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese..The fewest ingredients as possible. I added some French Tarragon this time (why you ask??? because I had it growing ;-))  and let's just say I won"t leave home without it again!









I added some other summer veggies I had in the fridge which included zucchini and sweet peppers. I had some broccoli that needed using so I threw that in.as well. I was told last night that this was Rock Star worthy. So I give it to you now...let's face it we all want to be a rock star at some point and I can't sing a lick so I  will do it through food!
Summer Veggie Lasagna
  • 1 yellow squash mine was large so you may need two depending on size.
  • 2 Zucchini
  • 2 Sweet Red Pepper
  • 2 cups Broccoli florets cut small
  • 1 box Lasagna noodles
  • 1 large container ...I used the biggest the store had ... of good quality Ricotta cheese
  • Fresh Mozzarella cubed, 1 large log or ball
  • Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese 1/2 cup 
  • 1 cup shredded Mozzarella for topping
For the Summer sauce 
  • 2 Cans Chunky tomatoes sauce 
  • 1 large Sweet Onion
  • a bunch of French Tarragon 
  • a bunch of fresh Basil
  • S&P
  • Sugar in the Raw
  • Olive Oil
In a pot heat your olive oil,about 3 TBS and add diced sweet onion. When it starts to sweat add the Tarragon. Saute for about 5 min. Add your tomatoes, S&P, sugar. Now cook at a good simmer for about 25 minutes. Add some grated cheese and at last minute before finishing cooking add the Basil last. Turn off heat.
Cook your noodles, drain and set aside..make sure they are Al Dente so they don't get too mushy when you bake the lasagna. Slice your squashes very thin and as well as other veggies so they cook rather quickly while baking.

Now spread some sauce in the bottom of your lasagna pan...now we start the layers.
  1. Noodles
  2. Sauce
  3. Ricotta cheese 
  4. Veggies
  5. Fresh Mozzarella
  6. S&P
  7. Repeat 
Top with shredded Mozzarella cheese and bake covered at 375 degrees Fahrenheit till bubbling about 40 minutes and another 5 uncovered. 
Enjoy!!

 Guess what, we had another storm today ... we woke up to it this morning... but it was a good storm ...distance rumbles and a nice rain...the kind that sounds good and makes you feel very cozy. I really like a dark morning sometimes especially in the summer...it  slows the pace even more...don't you think?? The other thing that was good about it...I didn't  have to go running for cover in the basement! However, I caught a few pics outside before it started coming down so hard. I love capturing raindrops on the flowers <3

Be well,
Ming

P.S. Let me know if you achieve Rock Star status as well after you make the Lasagna ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I love it when you share you amazing recipes. I so wish I lived closer as then I could just happen to stop by and try out one of your beautiful dishes. :)
    Thank you for this recipe, I promise I will be trying it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was summer squash. I thought all squash were fall veggies. This looks healthy. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this looks good. My garden is just starting to produce vegetables and we are enjoying them so much. Especially the tomatoes . . . nothing beats a summer tomato :)

    ReplyDelete