Monday, September 1, 2014

Everything was AWESOME...


when we went on vacation to California for a visit with family in the Bay area...



 five days in the Sierra Nevada's in Tahoe






 
  
a day trip to Virginia City, Nevada...

 
 








a final Lake Tahoe sunset



then an eleven hour drive down the coast to San Diego area...
 
  



for a visit to his Mecca ...

 

 Oh Cali, I didn't realize how much I missed you! It's been 30 years since my last time with you (Geez, do I feel old!) How I forgot about all your splendid beauty and how your colors inspired me! We traveled the same route as I did when I was 12. The Bay Area, Tahoe, and then south to the San Diego area for the long awaited visit to Lego Land for the little man. He has been talking about it for three years now. So, we finally decided that this was the year to do it. We don't think we have ever seen him happier! I think the face in the picture above sums it up.. don't you? He never wanted to leave the hotel...we had a pirate themed room, very cool!
Our visit with family in the Bay area was so fun. Four little boys...8 and under...that was a bunch of energy in one house. They played extremely hard all day and night. Us parents just watched in bewilderment thinking
 "oh we are so in for it when they are older!!"  Then we were off to Lake Tahoe, Emerald Bay...gorgeous!! Hikes through the Sierra Nevadas. Hair pin turns on mountain roads...my stomach was in my throat much of the time!! Breath taking views all around us. I think I would definitely relocate to Tahoe someday.  We spent a day as well in Virginia City, Nevada...an old gold mining town about an hours drive from Tahoe. The little guy said to me "This looks like the Old West" ...yes child this actually is the Old West, I had to explain to him! Then we drove eleven hours south. It was a gorgeous ride seeing much of the state...but poor Cali, you are sooo dry! That drought is terrible! We saw some Army maneuvers on our drive down the coast...they were waving to us as they drove by...we saluted them back. And, of course I insisted we see a California Coast sunset. The youngin' wasn't happy about it as it took time away from Lego Land (a whole hour..god forbid!) but, he got into taking some pictures... the blurry one of course. Like any good mom I love it cause he took it! The four older kids you ask?? Where were they? Here, there and everywhere this summer. Yes, we left them behind this time...that was a first for us. We did miss them, 
really we did ;-)!
It was a great summer with lots of good times. Now it is time for school. I am always sad when summer ends. I love my kids home with me<3! Tomorrow we send the youngest daughter off to the other end of the world to New Zealand. Our oldest son moved out this summer to begin his "after college life". The older daughter is heading south to Florida and the middle son has been in Vermont working all summer and started his Junior year of University. So, we almost have an empty nest ...at least for us that is what it seems like. Down to one 2nd grader who can not wait to get to school...he got the "cool teacher" this year!
I hope you all had a wonderful summer too! Make sure you stop back later this week to check out my visit to Jimmy Beans Wool in Nevada! Really, did you think it would be a vacation for me without some sort of fiber or craft involved! As my little guy would say,,,"Seriously!"
Be well,
Ming
**the picture of the Lego bike rider, that is the reception desk...that is a whole wall of Lego Minifigures and the wheels are magnifying glass so you can see them!!!

4 comments:

  1. Great vacation! I love the pictures you took! I am also going to the Lake Tahoe, as soon as next week, excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunset. The one time we went to Tahoe, we had so much fun. I used to see those bumper stickers, "Keep Tahoe Blue." It wasn't until we went there that I understood. It was really cute to see the kids in Star Wars costumes. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your California trip pictures.... I felt like I was there for a few minutes! So pretty!
    Your children are all over the US , and world, with your daughter in New Zealand!
    Thanks for sharing !
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a great time. You all look sunkissed and happy. :) Can't wait to hear about your visit to Jimmy Bean.

    ReplyDelete